Thursday, September 18, 2014

Don't Underestimate ~ Mixed Media Place

Happy Thursday! It has taken me weeks to create this mixed media pages for my art journal book. I started adhering strips of papers a day after I found the Summer Music challenge at Mixed Media Place but it has taken me just yesterday to come back and give it a go.

The challenge is to create artwork inspired by the music, lyrics or the video - whatever that moves you. I love Adele's song and Rolling In The Deep is one of my liking besides her Set Fire To The Rain! I listened to Rolling In The Deep many times to feel the emotion and understanding. For someone like me who have never been thrown out in someone's else life and being hurt, I end up imagining myself as the main character of Rolling In The Deep. The word "don't underestimate" from the lyric became my main concept and have used extra captions I found on Pinterest couple months ago for deeper meaning to my interpretation of the entire song and video.      
I started off by applying gesso over the pages and splattered red watercolor. I sprayed water to let it run; it's always my favorite part!
 All I could think of was using some hearts and for the first time I used an acrylic stamp designed by the late Sarah Lawrence the owner of Craftynotions. It's a free stamp from my purchase of Craft Stamper magazine way back in 2012. I stamped several hearts on white cardstock and cut them out. 
The smaller white hearts are punched out and adhered at the bottom to symbolize no matter how much one's heart is broken, there is still much love in her heart.
Originally the felt letters were pink and that was not the real color for warning so I used red Sharpie to highlight don't.
 I like to experiment with things which I think I can apply to mixed media project so this rubber mat is actually used in a household for an object from slipping. I love the texture and find it great for stamping!
As I said earlier on, I was tempted to make an art journal soon after I read the challenge so when we visited our eldest daughter at her boarding school on August 25, I brought along my stuff and sat opposite my husband who was explaining to 'Alyaa several maths questions she couldn't tackle. Math is never my interest but art is {smile}.

This is my first submission to Mixed Media Place which I have been following for some time ago and often check this blog from time to time because I am always impressed by their design team work. Such amazing creations and inspirations!

Thank you for dropping by and wishing you a great weekend.

Hugs and smiles,

4 comments:

  1. Great work! Love the quotes and the textures in the page! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce interpretation of the challenge! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friend!

I honestly appreciate your time visiting me today. I value your sweet comment. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Hugs-n-Smiles,
Asmah