Thursday, April 17, 2014

My Father's Legacy

It's blue skies and everything nice today and that takes me to recycling mood these days. When it comes to recycling, the most important person who instilled recycle+reuse+reduce+respect values in me is none other than my Father. He treasured everything he owned and organized them neatly in his workshop. Okay, he had a workshop he built himself. I wish I could do that myself so I too can have my own work space like Dad and be more organized in one area {sigh}.  
 Today's story is about my Father's glucose tin and that's the very last one he owned several weeks before he met his creator three years ago.
This is what I came out with...a decorated glucose tin filled up with some markers and toppers.
Unlike Dad who kept his bolts and nuts in his glucose tins with the lid intact and no decoration of course, I put in my markers {smile}. I think later I will put in flowers because I wish to give this creation to my Mother.
I am inspired to make this creation after I found SkrapKopilka while browsing my dashboard. I am especially in love with their Joint Venture "Spring Planner" challenge.
 There are four stages altogether and this is the first stage I am doing. Creation for Stage 1 must have  topper / magnet / tablet-pointer + MA - Button / Brads/Clothespin.  
I am so glad to have found this blog because it gives me the chance to dig out my huge tier drawers where I keep all kinds of things only God knows what's in there to craft! Mind you, that simply explain 'hoarding'! 
Apparently, when my Mother gave me the glucose while I was packing luggage to return back to my house in 2012, she told me to finish it off! It broke my heart. For once the tin doesn't carry Dad's handwriting. He's the person who would write down the day and date on the stuff he bought. I knew he didn't buy it himself but someone did for him. Weeks before Dad's passing, he was bed-ridden and drank special formula milk through a tube. He didn't take the glucose anymore. I brought it back anyway and it was hard for me to even take a spoon to scoop. Fortunately my son offered to take it a scoop at a time whenever he made milo. He didn't take long to finish it. I washed the tin and later keep it in the tier drawer aiming to decorate it some day! The dates underneath the tin will always...always remind me of the sad episodes prior to Dad's passing and the memories he left behind. 
In the next few days, I will be somewhat busy with my sewing machine most probably because I can hardly wait to finish off unfinished projects for Stage 2. Head over to ScrapKopilka for more awesome challenges.

I would also like to partake in these challenges:
1. A Creative Need : Signs of Sping (2/3)
2. Bloggers : Alter It
3. Creative Fingers : Anything Goes with Crafty Sentiments
4. Polkadoodle : Spring Time (1/2)

I value your visit and I shall do my best to visit you some day. Until the morning after. Take care and have a nice day.


Hugs and smiles,

8 comments:

  1. Hi Asmah
    Its the anniversary of my dear Mum's passing today. Its lovely that you've created this in your Dads memory. Keep your memories of him close to your heart.
    Best wishes.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asmah this is recycling at its best. Hard to believe this beautiful creation was once a mere little glucose tin. Love the inspirational wording on the lollipops.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! I had read this post of yours on the wrong day. I had tears flowing freely today at the funeral and reading this just bring more fresh tears. Yes, dad has left us a legacy that was once not understood - Recycling? Once upon a time it is synonymous with no money to buy something or worse still, poverty. Now? To save the earth for our children. Such an irony. Good thing dad instill in us recycling simply means value what you have; and if you don't like the present look, give it a new lease of life.
    Good work, Asmah. You've done what dad loves doing - giving 'junks' a new lease of life. That was his inspiration. Keep it up, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful job of recycling that tin! So pretty! Thank you for sharing with us at A Creative Need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Asmah, what a beautiful project and such a lovely way to recycle something so very precious. Thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Чудесные Эко-топперы!
    Спасибо, что присоединились к нашему СП! СкрапКопилка

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful upcycling. Thanks for sharing at Creative Fingers challenge blog. Leona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asmah, this is gorgeous! The way you arranged the read flowers and butterflies is perfect. The fact that this was your Dads makes it even more special. He sounds like an amazing man. I also lost my Dad in 2012. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friend!

I honestly appreciate your time visiting me today. I value your sweet comment. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Hugs-n-Smiles,
Asmah